Welcome

Our lives became a little [EXTRA] special on February 15, 2011 in a way we never expected.







This is about our journey and the [EXTRA]ordinary people we meet along the way.







Wednesday, March 20, 2013

World Down Syndrome Day: Who Am I?

World Down Syndrome Day is tomorrow (3/21). What a difference two years makes! There was a call for posts from the International Down Syndrome Coalition to write about: Who Am I?

Here is my response:

I am not what you think I am at first look.
My size, my eyes, my unintelligible cries;
They confuse you, make you sympathize.
But I’m telling you, I’m not what you think I am at first look.

There is a mystery to you of who I am.
Your outside stares, glares and whispered snares;
That’s not on me, it’s theirs.
But I know there is a mystery to you of who I am.

I am not what you think I am at first look.
My fingers, my toes, my flat-bridged nose;
They bewilder you, make you pose.
Believe me, I am not what you think I am at first look.

There is a judgment from you of who I am.
Paint your little box, stocked with rocks;
Ready to throw out, head cocked.
I feel the judgment from you of who I am.

I am not what you think I am at first look.
My strength, my joy, my place in this world.
Ha Ha! I might just have you foiled.
Maybe you know, I am not what you think I am at first look.

There is a part of me
That you just cannot see
Simply by looking.

For who am I?
I am the strength you wished for,
[The determination that only comes from the heart.]
I am the unbridled joy you wished for,
[The love that only comes from the soul.]

I am more than my boundaries;
I am more than numbers.
I am more.

More than you knew you wished for.

I am not what you think I am at first look.
My size, my eyes, my “mama” cries;
They now fill you; I’m your little prize.
I told you, I’m not what you think I am at first look.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment